Wednesday 9 March 2011

Hello motivation where have you been???!

Well its been a week.... and what a week. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster!
So this is what Id like to call the 2-3 week blues....Im 3 weeks into my journey and I will admit that this week my mindset has been completely out of whack.... Im not entirely sure why but I have been majorly struggling with negative thoughts.... which for people who know me is strange as I am always a very postivie and optimistic person.
Part of it may have to do with my 800g weight loss last week after I felt I worked so hard and it didnt really show on the scales, but whatever the reason the feelings and thoughts I have had this past week have not been the best. :(
Last week my little bundle of joy had been a little "out of routine" waking at different hours of the night really threw me for a loop and I found myself battling with tiredness (but never gave in ;)] and to be honest I just felt fat...plain and simple I felt overweight and like I had put on weight. I had been following my food plan but constantly felt hungry.
As I have said in past posts Im super organised with my food now except my snacks so I wasnt snacking enough. So I was hungry, tired and grumpy (not a good combination!) That along with challenges during training sessions like skipping during a boxing session and literally not being able to lift my legs, shin splints probably due to the extra weight I am carrying and my poor legs not handling the impact, and a very bad case of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) although there was nothing delayed about it, after tuesdays training my legs were sore pretty  much until the following monday!!!
With the negative thoughts running through my head I started being a little leanient with portion sizes and when having dinner at my in laws rather than having a small portion I was so hungry and just gave in and ate until I was stuffed.... then went home upset.
As you can see the situation last week was at about defqon 2.....
In normal situtions I wouldnt allow these thoughts to happen and would work on overcoming these problems and thoughts and work harder.... thats what prompted me to ask...
"Hello? Motivation where are you??"
If I were truly motivated these things wouldnt be an issue. I would be able to overcome these thoughts. This means finding motivation that works for me. So when I went for my run on Saturday I said to myself enough is enough snap out of it and started thinking... what motivates me? what is going to drive me to lose the next 23kilo's?
So now I will share with you what motivates me as for those of you who are on a  journey of your own this may help you work out what motivates you. Please also check a great article written by my brother Dion about  Motivation techniques http://www.vivafitness.com.au/posts/view/16/Motivate_your_strength_or_toning_goals

But now what motivates me?

1- Positive Affirmations
When I train I like to think positive thoughts. I like to have competitions against myself in my own head...yes strange I know but it works. When I run I will constantly think...."this is easy! You got this in the bag...nothing can stop you. Youre not going to stop now?" etc etc and I find myself talking back saying "yeah this IS easy and no way Ill never stop." Basically I build my ego while I run. I talk about running as this has become a favourite thing for me to do as it is hard and it allows me to be completely focused in my own thoughts.

2- People who inspire me.
As you know my family and close friends are all fit and active and live healthy lifestyles. People like my mum, brother Dion and his fiance Kristy are all hugely inspiring.
If you dont know my brother Dion is a kickboxer and started fighting at 18, and after only 2 fights was offered a state title fight and won. For those of you who know the discipline it takes to fight will appreciate what he went through in the lead up to all of his fights, how hard he trained and focused on his goal and nothing could stop him.
Then to Kristy who in 2008 won the Miss Figure Australia title and started her intense preparation 5 months before the competition. The sacrifices she made in order to achieve her goal are far beyond anything I could even dream of.... but she did it and she won.
Then my mum, who has been in the fitness industry for nearly 30 years but more importantly has overcome many hurdles in her life, being a single mother just making ends meet and the major sacrifices to support both my brother and I, to get where she is today shows a very strong, passionate and inspiring woman.
Lastly the members at Viva.... the "front row mums" (and instructors) Rena, Jade,Renee, Melina, Lidia, just to name a few... who look amazing after having children, some of them even better than before children!
The people in Dions kickboxing class who are all fitter, stronger and faster than I am, inspire me to be just as good and even better! (Give me 3 months and you'll all be chasing me in the block run)

and lastly
3- The person I want to be...The role model
I dont necessarily have an image of myself but more importantly the feeling when  I achieve this goal, the reaction from my husband and the praise I will receive.
Knowing that your husband finds you attractive or sexy is a comforting feeling, something that I dont feel at the moment, but this will drive me to make this happen.
Being a role model for my clients that I have trained who are now "gym junkies" and to my future clients who will be inspired by me achieving my goal.

So there you have it I dug deep and re focused. Went in with a fresh head on Monday, did Body attack and went for a walk in the afternoon, did group training on tuesday night and then PT with Dion on wednesday morning and another afternoon walk.
Which leads me to weigh in day and guess what? I lost 1.5kg!! Back on track and feeling fantastic!

So what did I learn this week?
The going WILL get tough, things wont always be easy and you WILL have slip ups. But that is all they are, bad "moments". Its how we get out of these "funks" and overcome these slip ups that truly make us succeed and help us along the way to being the people we want to be.

Make it Happen!!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment