Thursday 24 March 2011

I ate the wagon...

So you know the expression, "I fell off the wagon".... well I fell off the wagon but not only that I think I ate the wagon too.
Now when I say I fell off the wagon, dont get carried away, i didnt go binging on burgers, pizza and chocolate, I just ate too much and drank alcohol.
This last weekend was a real test, saturday was my neices 1st birthday party bbq at a playground, my best friend was down from melbourne and it was also Clipsal weekend and for those that dont know, my future sister inlaws father races in the ute division at clipsal, so Clipsal is always a big exciting weekend.
So what did I do.... I ate ..... and ate .... and ate.... oh and drank.
Now granted I enjoyed myself immensely but the horrible feeling I had on Monday of guilt wasnt worth it.
Now the food I ate wasnt junk food, but I did eat steak and "bbq salads" eg pasta salad, potato salad etc or as I like to say carbs carbs carbs....mmmm carbs... hahaha!
Whilst I have been doing well on this journey, I havent yet got it down pat. As you would all know, temptation is a killer and following a plan at home is easy, its when you go out in to the world that makes it hard and that little voice in your head telling you to have a small portion or to leave that pasta salad alone, is drowned out by the sound of race cars and drunken bogans....
So I have learnt by my mistakes and know how to improve on this for next time.

Now...
With all that eating I still managed to lose half a kilo this week, which I am happy with as honestly I thought I would gain this week not lose, but it also brings me to think, what would that number be if I had behaved myself on the weekend?? dammit.
This week started off fantasticly! I worked my ass off in Body attack on monday and I am now doing the 2nd option for tricep pushups which is exciting! My eating has been spot on, including changing my food plan to make the roast lamb I cooked for the whole family on wednesday my "treat meal", when in the past I wouldnt recognise that and I would still have a treat meal too.
Tuesday night was kickboxing, wednesday was 1 on 1 training with Dion where we did some really interesting training and I got to man handle him, got to grab him by the neck, push him round and finish him off with a knee (if only I knew those moves when we were kids, he would have been in big trouble.... yeah our little "kumate" sessions from the movie Bloodsport would have ended a whole lot differently) Then yesterday I woke up with a sore throat and "tender" glands. But after missing group training last week, I couldnt miss it again, and so off I went and lucky I did as we did a boxing session (my favourite obviously!) but as the day went on I felt worse and worse.
So when Paul rang and asked what I needed from the chemist I told him "anything that would make me feel better". Now this to me meant some echinacea tablets, but part of me was wishing he would interpret this as a big block of chocolate (hahaha what can I say, im female!) but alas he returned home with echinacea tablets.
Woke up this morning with really swollen glands, tonsils and a head that may just explode.... not cool. So it looks like a day on the couch in my pj's is in order, which means my eating needs to be spot on, so I get better quickly and can get my ass back into the gym....what am I going to do without my "Smashing Saturday Session"!!!?

To finish, a few people have been asking me what a typical days food would involve for me so here goes.
I am sticking to around 1200 calories a day + upto 500 extra calories as I am breastfeeding.
Breakfast lunch and dinner should be around 300 calories each which leaves 2 snacks at around 150 calories each- this makes up 1200 calories.
Breakfast I like to mix it up. Either cereal with soy milk and a banana. Yogurt with kiwi fruit and natural muesli, or burgen fruit toast with low fat ricotta.
Lunch normally some sort of salad or wrap. My favourite salad at the moment is roast vegetables, with chick peas and a dill yogurt dressing (with lots of garlic).
Dinner- Ive found the key is to find dressing or sauces that are low cal and tasty! so a simple small chicken breast and steamed vegetables with a mustard sauce is really tasty and good for you. (Mustard sauce = spring onion, garlic, chicken stock, water and wholegrain mustard- cook until reduced)
The window for fat burning means 3-4 hourly meals so snacks are a necessity. I loooove smoothies!!
Low fat yogurt, frozen raspberries, milk or orange juice for a nice tang and a little bit of protein powder.... amazing.

The key though people is PLAN AND PREPARE!!!!
i spend fridays and saturdays planning the following weeks meals, so I can write out my full shopping list and do the food shopping either saturday or sunday, that way everything I need for the week is there ready. I have my food plan written out so I never have to sit and wonder what to cook which leads to snacking on the wrong foods due to hunger while trying to find something to make for dinner (we all have done that, dont deny it  ;)
This also means I can prepare and make the following days lunches too, which has lead to a very satisfied and happy husband too ;)

I think thats enough for now. Look out on Saturday or Sunday Im posting 2 recipes of the week... a healthy chicken parmagiana and a very quick and tasty stirfry!

P.s thankyou all for your "motivating screams" (especially you Brett) when you see me training at the gym or running down the street, I appreciate it... keep it up!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment